As parents, it can be extremely hard if not impossible to find any time for such things as manicures, pedicures or facials! You have the best intentions that after the kids are in bed to curl up with a good book, take a long soak in the bath or even catch up on your favourite Netflix show but then you find yourself putting on the washing, making pack lunches, or tidying the toys. Suddenly you look at the clock, and that leaves you just time to sit with a cuppa! But with the best intentions, you need some time out, some ME time! That time when you can invest in something that is just for you! It doesn’t even have to be complicated or extreme! You don’t how long before you are running on empty or feeling the strain! I thought I would give you a friendly reminder that your body, mind and soul shouldn’t suffer just because you’re a parent! Here are 25 tips for the ultimate self-care routine as a parent.
PIN FOR LATER
Let’s Drop The Guilt!
In the back of your mind, you are probably finding all kinds of excuses why you can’t do this, and you can’t do that! Well, I’m here to tell you that you can drop the guilt! You carried tiny, wriggling humans for nine months, birthed them, fed them, clothed them, kept them alive and I think it’s time to find ten minutes out of your day to spend on YOU!
According to Forbes, it is important that we regularly practise self-care and it is great for our mental health and our stress. Self-care doesn’t have to involve exercise or anything you don’t feel comfortable with, but it should be something that you feel happy to slot into your daily routine. If you don’t take care of you, who is going to take care of them!
25 Tips for the Ultimate Self-Care Routine as a Parent
Personally, I am not one for exercise or making myself feel uncomfortable. I like to keep my routines simple but effective. The following list is just a rough guide, feel free to add any of your own that you enjoy like sewing, playing your favourite instrument, making cakes (yes, that is fine).
- Take a bubble bath with candles, a glass of your favourite drink (wine is okay) and lay back and enjoy the quiet.
- Walking is good for the soul. Take a slow leisurely walk for a while; it doesn’t have to be for exercise or to reach any goals. It can really help clear your mind.
- Binge-watch your favourite TV show!
- Read a book or your favourite magazine.
- If the weather is good, sit in the garden with a cuppa.
- Keep a Self-care journal to help track your goals, wellness and thoughts.
- Give yourself a DIY spa at home; it doesn’t have to be expensive. Grab a few face masks, nail varnish and bits from your local pound store or supermarket and place some hot face cloths in the microwave (be careful of burns) they will be steaming!
- Purchase yourself a fresh bouquet of flowers. This is one of my favourite treats for myself!
- Sit down with a cuppa and call a close friend or family member for a good chat!
- Do some yoga (outside if the weather is nice)
- Go out for a coffee with a friend.
- Take up a new hobby
- Bake some cakes or treats of your choice
- Order yourself a hug in a box or any self-care box that takes your fancy or interests.
- Have lunch in the park or garden – make it a picnic
- Have a mental health day when you do NOTHING!
- Order a takeaway or meal from a local restaurant that deliveries.
- Online shopping – obviously, this is a thing! Have a browse around your favourite shops from the comfort of your sofa or check out your very own personal shopper service.
- Make cocktails at home.
- Go to a museum, art gallery or a place that you enjoy for a few hours.
- Get an early night
- Make an effort to wear an outfit you really like but rarely wear!
- Buy an adult colouring book with some pencils – I find this calming.
- Place your phone on silent, ignore all social media, all notifications and do something different for half an hour.
- Have a rest or nap!
You May Also Enjoy:
- Simple Ways to Improve your Diet
- Tips for Healthy Eating When Travelling with Kids
- Tips to Help you Prepare for Summer
I am sure there are plenty more that you can add to your own list! Remember this is only part of being able to live a healthy lifestyle. It does start from within. If you don’t take care of yourself and your wellbeing, you aren’t doing you or your family any favours.
Let me know one of your own self-care routines that you just couldn’t do without?